I’d never heard of the Georgia Guidestones, a monument with six 20-foot slabs of granite standing upright, 100 tons of roadside attraction. Inscribed in 8 languages are 10 edicts:
- Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
- Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
- Unite humanity with a living new language.
- Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
- Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
- Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
- Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
- Balance personal rights with social duties.
- Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
- Be not a cancer on the earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature
The monument is out near the city of Elberton, Georgia. Time for a road trip, I think.